1.If you have a juicer, you can simply feed in frozen bananas and some berries or sliced fruit. Out comes a “soft-serve” creamy dessert, to be eaten right away. This makes a fun activity for a children’s party; they love feeding the fruit and frozen bananas into the top of the machine and watching the ice cream come out below.
What is “a juicer” in the last paragraph?
A. A dessert. B. A drink.C. A container. D. A machine.
解析：they love feeding the fruit and frozen bananas into the top of the machine and watching the ice cream come out below.孩子们喜欢把水果和冷冻的香蕉放到机器的顶部，看着冰激凌出来，因此此处a juicer是机器。选择D
2. Adults understand what it feels like to be flooded with objects. Why do we often assume that more is more when it comes to kids and their belongings? The good news is that I can help my own kids learn earlier than I did how to live more with less.
What do the words “more is more” in paragraph 1 probably mean?
A. The more, the better.
B. Enough is enough.
C. More money, more worries.
D. Earn more and spend more.
答案A,根据第一段第一句Adults understand what it feels like to be flooded with objects我们成年人都清楚堆满很多物品是什么感受，接着设问Why do we often assume that more is more when it comes to kids and their belongings? 表达了作者对more is more“越多越好”的态度。紧接着下一句The good news is that I can help my own kids learn earlier than I did how to live more with less好消息是我可以帮助我自己的孩子们比我更早地学会如何拥有得不多也能更好地生活，由此可知more is more是“越多越好”的意思。而越多越好是后文作者驳斥反对的。
3. There are also varieties developed to suit specific local conditions. One of the very best varieties for eating quality is Orleans Reinette, but you'll need a warm, sheltered place with perfect soil to grow it, so it's a_pipe_dream for most apple lovers who fall for it.
30．What does the underlined phrase “a pipe dream” in Paragraph 3 mean?
A．A practical idea. B．A vain hope.
C．A brilliant plan. D．A selfish desire.
分析：根据连接词so可知上下文之间存在着因果关系，故我们需要从上文中寻找答案。由上文中的“One of the very best varieties for eating quality is Orleans Reinette, but you'll need a warm, sheltered place with perfect soil to grow it ...”可知，尽管Orleans Reinette是很好的品种，但是对各项条件的要求很高，因此大多数喜欢它的人种植它的希望会落空。故选择B项。
4. This of course created a new problem: dirt practically buried the first floors of every building in Chicago. Building owners were faced with a choice: either change the first floors of their buildings into basements, and the second stories into main floors, or hoist the entire buildings to meet the new street level. Small woodframe buildings could be lifted fairly easily.
63．The underlined word “hoist” in Paragraph 4 means “________”．
分析：根据下文“Small woodframe buildings could be lifted fairly easily.”可知hoist与lift同义，故正确答案为B项。
5. Some 2,500 years ago Greece discovered freedom. Before that there was no freedom. There were great civilizations, splendid empires, but no freedom anywhere. Egypt and Babylon were both tyrannies,_ one very powerful man ruling over helpless masses.
65．What does the underlined word“tyrannies”in Paragraph 2 refer to?
A．Countries where their people need help.
B．Powerful states with higher civilization.
C．Splendid empires where people enjoy freedom.
D．Governments ruled with absolute power.
分析：根据后面的同位语“one very powerful man ruling over helpless masses”我们不难得知选项D与其意义一致，即“专政，暴君统治”。
6. The objects around you are visible because they interact with light .Light typically travels in a straight line.But some materials slow and scatter (散射) light，bouncing it away from its original path.Others absorb light，stopping it dead in its tracks. Both scattering and absorption make an object look different from other objects around it，so you can see it easily.
The underlined word “dead” in Paragraph 3 means ________．
7. My color television has given me nothing but a headache.I was able to buy it a little over a year ago because I had my relatives give me money for my birthday instead of a lot of clothes that wouldn’t fit.I let a salesclerk fool me into buying a discontinued model.I realized this a day later，when I saw newspaper advertisements for the set at seventyfive dollars less than I had paid.The set worked so beautifully when I first got it home that I would keep it on until stations signed_off for the night.Fortunately，I didn’t get any channels showing allnight movies or I would never have gotten to bed.
Which of the following can best replace the phrase “signed off” in Paragraph 1?_______
A．ended all their programs
B．provided fewer channels
C．changed to commercials
D．showed allnight movies
【解析】答案A 词义猜测题。结合画线部分所在的句子“The set worked so beautifully when I first got it home that I would keep it on until stations signed_off for the night.”尤其是画线短语前面的I would keep it on说明作者非常喜欢看电视，一
目”与短语sign off “结束广播/电视节目”意义相近，为正确答案。
A man’s position among the black-tent people depends on his ancestors, relatives, and fellow tribesmen. If they are honored, he is also honored. If they are disgraced, he too is disgraced. Therefore one carefully guards the honor of his family, his lineage(宗系), and his tribe.
The word “disgrace” means _________ in this text.
A. honor B. endanger C. proud D. shame
The ruler had been so cruel and dishonest that after the revolution he was banished. A few members of the Senate(参议院) opposed this decision, but the majority voted that the ruler should leave the country for ever.
The underlined word “banished” mean_______.
A. killed by stoning B. sent away
C. imprisoned D. punished by whipping
Although he often had the chance, Mr. Brown was never able to steal money from a customer. This would endangered his position at the bank, and he did not want to jeopardizehis future.
The word “jeopardize” means _____ in this text.
A. protect B. endanger C. continue D. stop
It was once common to regard Britain as a society with class distinction. Each class had unique characteristics.
In recent years, many writers have begun to speak the 'decline of class' and 'classless society' in Britain. And in modern day consumer society everyone is considered to be middle class.
But pronouncing the death of class is too early. A recent wide-ranging society of public opinion found 90 percent of people still placing themselves in particular class; 73 percent agreed that class was still a vital part of British society; and 52 percent thought there were still sharp class differences. Thus, class may not be culturally and politically obvious, yet it remains an important part of British society. Britain seems to have a love of stratification.
42. The word stratification in Paragraph 3 is closest in meaning to ________.
参考答案B B. division
词义猜测题。根据画线词所在句子。“Britain seems to have a love of stratification．”，再结合上文中提到的英国人喜欢把自己定位于某个等级可知，该句是指，英国似乎很喜欢这种等级划分。
The link between what the men had done as boys and how they turned out as adults was surprisingly sharp. Those who had done the most boyhood activities were twice as likely to have warm relations with a wide variety of people, five times as likely to be well paid and 16 times less likely to have been unemployed. The researchers also found that IQ and family social and economic class made no real difference in how the boys turned out. Working----at any age----is important. Childhood activities help a child develop responsibility, independence, confidence and competence---the underpinnings (基础) of emotional health. They also help him understand that people must cooperate and work toward common goals. The most competent adults are those who know how to do this. Yet work isn’t everything. As Tolstoy once said, “One can live magnificently in this world if one knows how to work and how to love, to work for the person one loves and to love one’s work.”
49. What does the underlined word “sharp” probably mean in Paragraph 4?
A. Quick to react
B. Having a thin edge
C. Clear and definite
D. sudden and rapid
In fact, when it comes to the art of war, ants have no equal. They are completely fearless and will readily take on a creature much larger than themselves, attacking in large groups and overcoming their target. Such is their devotion to the common good of the colony that not only soldier ants but also worker ants will sacrifice their lives to help defeat an enemy.
Behaving in this selfless and devoted manner, these little creatures have survived on Earth, for more than 140 million years, far longer than dinosaurs. Because they think as one, they have a collective (集体的) intelligence greater than you would expect from its individual parts.
70. What does the underlined expression "take on" in Paragraph 3 mean?
A. Accept. B. Employ. C. Play with. D. Fight against.
Once when I was facing a decision that involved high risk, I went to a friend. He looked at me for a moment, and then wrote a sentence containing the best advice I’ve ever had: Be bold and brave — and mighty (强大的) forces will come to your aid.
Those words made me see clearly that when I had fallen short in the past, it was seldom because I had tried and failed. It was usually because I had let fear of failure stop me from trying at all. On the other hand, whenever I had plunged into deep water, forced by courage or circumstance, I had always been able to swim until I got my feet on the ground again.
Boldness means a decision to bite off more than you are sure youcaneat. And there is nothing mysterious about the mighty forces. They are potential powers we possess: energy, skill, sound judgment, creative ideas — even physical strength greater than most of us realize.
52. What is the implied meaning of the underlined part?
A. Swallow more than you can digest.
B. Act slightly above your abilities.
C. Develop more mysterious powers.
D. Learn to make creative decisions.
“In the 1960s we were all a little wild and couldn’t get away from home far enough or fast enough to prove we could do it on our own,” says Christine Crosby, publisher of Grand, a magazine for grandparents. “We now realize how important family is and how important it is to be near them, especially when you’re raising children.”
27. What did Crosby say about people in the 1960s?
A. They were unsure of themselves.
B. They were eager to raise more children.
C. They wanted to live away from their parents.
D. They had little respect for their grandparents.
27．C[细节理解题。根据第三段的第一句“In the 1960s we were all a little wild and couldn't get away from home far enough or fast enough to prove we could do it on our own...”可知，在20世纪60年代，人们都有点儿狂野，急于“远走高飞”来证明自己的能力，这与C项的表述“他们想远离父母生活”相吻合，故选C项。]
Recently, an old milk box in the countryside I saw brought back my childhood memories. I took it home and planted it in the back porch （门廊）. Every so often my son’s friends will ask what it is. So I started stories of my boyhood, and of the milkman who brought us friendship along with his milk.
59. Why did the author bring back home an old milk box?
A. He missed the good old days.
B. He wanted to tell interesting stories.
C. He needed it for his milk bottles.
D. He planted flowers in it.
Encouraging this kind of thinking has a downside. I ran the risk of losing those students who had a different style of thinking. Without fail one would declare, “But I’m just not creative.”
27. What does the underlined word “downside” in Paragraph 4 probably mean?
A. Mistake. B. Drawback. C. Difficulty. D. Burden.
Members go on the site and register the books they own and would like to share. BookCrossing provides an identification number to stick inside the book. Then the person leaves it in a public place, hoping that the book will have an adventure, traveling far and wide with each new reader who finds it.
30. What does the underlined word “it” in Paragraph 2 refer to ?
A. The book. B. An adventure.
C. A public place. D. The identification number.
He was judged unfit to return to sea and took a shore job in Glasgow for the rest of the war. For as long as I can remember, he had a weak heart. Mother said it was caused by the torpedoes. He said it was because of the cigarettes.Whichever, he died suddenly in his early 50s.
63.The underlined word “it” in Paragraph 6 refers to the father’s ____.
A. weak heart B. taking a shore job
C. failure to return to sea D. injury caused by a torpedo
…… Second, the quality of your relationships depends on the amount of time you invest（投入）in them. We invest a lot in a small number of people and then distribution what’s left among as many others as we can. The problem is that if we invest little time in a person, our engagement with that person will decline（减弱）until eventually it dies into “someone I once knew”.
73. The underlined word “engagement” in the second paragraph probably means “”.
A. appointment B. connection C. interview D. agreement
There are also varieties developed to suit specific local conditions. One of the very best varieties for eating quality is Orleans Reinette, but you'll need a warm, sheltered place with perfect soil to grow it, so it's a pipe dream for most apple lovers who fall for it.
30. What does the underlined phrase “a pipe dream” in Paragraph 3 mean?
A. A practical idea. B. A vain hope. (白日梦) C. A brilliant plan. D. A selfish desire.
“My friends said: ‘Now we believe your stories,’” Welty added. “And I said: ‘Now you know. These are the people that make me write them.’”
The underlined word “them” in Paragraph 6 refers to Welty's _______.
A. readers B. parties C. friends D. stories